Spruce Beer Uncorked


 Yes, we are mid-January. 2021. Aaand I know my personal challenge was to finish all the recipes in the Maine Bicentennial Cookbook by the end of 2020. So what are we doing now? Well, beer has a life of its own, and I had to let the bottle sit around in the kitchen, doing its fermenting thing, for a week. Then sit around in a cooler location for a week. Today's the day! I chilled the beer, popped the cork, and boldly toasted the new year.  This beverage gives you the refreshing taste of sweet nature: essence of spruce, brown sugar, a splash of lemon juice, ale yeast, and water.

On another go-round I'll try honey as the sweetener. And I'll be more adventurous with the spruce. I was so concerned that the spruce flavor would overwhelm. But it didn't! In fact, I could have added a wee bit more.

Have you ever tasted mead? This beverage is really rather like mead. How do I know? I was gifted a bottle of mead at Christmas. No spruce essence, but it was pretty good. In fact, I sterilized the empty mead bottle to use for this recipe. And the hilarious reality? When you try to cork this stuff...it likes to pop that cork for the party a little too soon. So I ended up duct taping the cork to the bottle while it was sitting in the cool spot. Golly, did that cork pop when I released the tape today!

I needed an impartial assessment of the product. Naturally, neighbors are the logical taste testers. I filled three shot glasses (I didn't want to make them suffer thru a full glass if it was awful stuff), placed the glasses on a small tray, and walked overstreet to have a tasting party (COVID safe-distanced) with the neighbors. They liked it! Who knew one could become a brewer just like that?!

*Yes, we have one more recipe to complete the cookbook. Broiled Eel. I checked with the local seafood shop, and they are still waiting on their eel source to supply. So, we wait.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans