Mustard Pickles

 In this pandemic, it has not been easy to find canning jars. More people have been gardening and trying their hand at canning, I guess. So I buy jars when I can find them. And I've just recently run out. Nothing in the stores. So I went rummaging in the barn, to see what I could find. Only quart jars. So these pickles are done up in quart jars. Not a problem, really, but it is rather a large amount of pickles to open up, with just two people in the home.

The handwritten "mustard pickles" recipe in the cookbook is very charming. Reminds me of my grandmother's handwritten recipes. This makes up a large amount, so I cut it in half. I also did not use cauliflower, nor green tomatoes, nor peppers nor stuffed olives. All I wanted, really, was the pickle, and some onions, and of course, mustard! Unlike the chow-chow, which seems to be lots of ingredients, and time-intensive, this recipe made up rather easily. I sliced the onions and cucumbers in the food processor the night before, poured them into a large plastic bowl, added a bit of salt and water to cover, and set it on the counter overnight. In the morning, just drain, pour into a pot with the "dressing" (how quaint is that?!), bring to a boil for ten or fifteen minutes, and then place pickles in canning jars, pack down, pour vinegar mixture over, and secure lids. Boiling water bath for ten minutes and then I set the piping hot jars on my cutting board and wait for that magical "ping" to tell me the jars are sealed tightly!

We look forward to enjoying these pickles through the winter!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans