Mem's Holiday Cake

 Can you wait a minute while I put on my Andy Williams Christmas album? It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, you know!

I read the story behind this cake (love these family stories as much as the recipes in this cookbook). And I tell you, I was wary. Fruit Cake, really? I'd never met a fruitcake I liked. Why would I start now? But the story intrigued me, because the donor, Claire Breton, of Lewiston must have read my mind. She was wary, too, years ago, when her mother-in-law, Dolly Breton, offered up this cake to family at the holiday gatherings. But Claire was also bold, and tried it and loved it. So I, too, determined to be bold and try it, in part because of her encouraging story, and, well, in part because I am baking every single recipe in this book, in spite of my inner voice warning of historic bad encounters with fruitcakes.

Am I ever glad Claire, whom I've never met, encouraged me to try this recipe. I did not include pineapple, since we are just not fond of it in this household. But the cherries and the dates were happily added to the mix. And after baking it up, I decided that it did indeed need a third fruit, so next time around, I will add dried apricots (soaked in water or brandy beforehand). I was going for the lightest fruitcake possible, so instead of half whole wheat and half unbleached flour, I went with all unbleached flour. I poured the batter into mini tube pans, which I normally use for my sour cream coffee cakes. 

The Resident Archaeologist was perched on a stool at the kitchen island and spied a mini fruitcake which was partially cut into. He warmed up the rest of it in the microwave and proceeded to eat it while we were chatting about our plans for the day. He said (this man who does not eat fruitcake), "this is really pretty good." I must have looked stunned. I then got my wits about me and said, cupping a hand to my ear, "what did you say?" He looked up from the fruitcake and said, "I, um, said it's not bad, for fruitcake." Interpretation: he loves it.

I gave a fruitcake to our neighbors the other day (in exchange for some spice cake they had made and shared with us). The husband stopped over today to say thanks and to tell this story: he knew he'd have it all to himself, because his wife doesn't like fruitcake. So he enjoyed a piece of it, then wrapped it and left it in the kitchen. The next morning, it was gone...and when he asked her where it was, she replied, "It was delicious!" So we have a winner, this Holiday Cake! I tell everyone I give it to, "this is not your grandmother's fruitcake." And so far, it is winning the hearts and tastebuds of many people delighted to develop a friendly new relationship with fruitcake.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans