Marjorie Tucker's Chocolate Roll with Chocolate Sauce

 I was in the bakery section of the grocery store, the day I decided to make this recipe. So I studied up on the chocolate rolls for sale there. They looked absolutely gorgeous, with this deep dark thin chocolate layer, spread with whipped cream that peeks out the end of the roll.

So, I knew what it was supposed to look like. And I followed this recipe so carefully, I swear I did. Now, I did console myself that the person who donated this recipe from her aunt Margery did mention that Margery was the Blaine House chief cook for 25 years. She was well-practiced in making this recipe. So if I am trying this recipe for the very first time, I'm sure Margery would tell me to just try again, it takes practice. Right? 

Aaagh! Next time around, maybe I should use more melted chocolate. You see, the chocolate layer that gets rolled up? It just didn't look chocolatey enough. Maybe use a darker chocolate next time? I don't know. And go see "Chocolate Sauce" blog for that part of the confection story. That, too, didn't work up quite the way I had hoped.

I mean, the roll tasted fine. It is sweet. It is spongy and soft and the whipped cream pairs well with the cake roll. But it's not that gorgeous dark chocolate wonderfulness that I saw in the bakery. Okay, enough wallowing in my imperfections in baking. It was okay, but it needs work!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans