Gram's Cracker Pudding

 This recipe has been handed down through the generations in Phyllis Pruett's husband's family, and it is a Pruett family tradition to serve it at Thanksgiving and Christmas, with a hard sauce.

I was a little hesitant to try this recipe. It seemed so similar to the Pop-Corn Pudding (same page, see blog) and I had managed to curdle the milk in that recipe. I did not want a repeat incident here. The recipe mentions crackers that are not widely available now (Common Crackers), so it is suggested to substitute Saltines. I used the mini-saltines, and crushed them. Where the recipe directs putting in the oven to cook with no oven temp mentioned, I became very wary. How could I prevent the milk from curdling? Not only that, the recipe also requires adding more milk at some point in the baking process, and stirring, then bake longer ("til spoon comes out clean"). Too little instruction here for my comfort level!

I googled Saltine Cracker Pudding and Allrecipes.com came to the rescue. Very similar recipe, just with flaked coconut added. I followed the modern recipe directions, and it is a win-win! I never had to tuck this recipe into the oven. It is all on the stovetop, so I could keep a close eye on the milk. It also directs to separate the egg yolk and egg white, and beat the egg yolk 1-3 minutes with sugar. Oh my, what a beautiful light yellow smooth loveliness is the result! The egg white gets beaten as well, into peaks, and folded into the cooked mixture after it all thickens over low heat.

Now, about the coconut. I have never been fond of coconut, nor artichokes. But when I fell in love with the Resident Archaeologist, I discovered that he loves both coconut and artichokes. It has taken a decade or so, but I have taught myself to appreciate coconut and artichokes. I can't actually say the same for my sweetheart, regarding my love of fiddleheads. Maybe some new fiddlehead recipe in the future will eventually win him over. I know that the fruitcake recipe in this cookbook sure changed his attitude about fruitcake! Anyway, the coconut in this pudding is perfect, I have to say. And I like to think that the Pruett family might be pleased to know that this small adaptation to their pudding recipe will surely bring pleasure to our holiday table for generations to come.

This recipe completes the Puddings and Ice Creams chapter of the Maine Bicentennial Community Cookbook. I have thoroughly enjoyed the recipes in this chapter and learned with delight that a pudding can actually present itself in cake form or gelatinous form or thick 'n creamy form. So versatile and tasty!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans