Cracked Wheat Pilaf (pairs with String Beans with Lamb recipe)

 This is a "stand alone" recipe, in my opinion. It is originally paired with String Beans with Lamb (see blog), however, I decided it's such a great recipe that I wanted to be able to access it separately, as a side for other meals. And, since I didn't cook it with the Lamb recipe, I can make it tonite with chicken!

I changed it up a wee bit. It calls for sauteeing the fine egg noodles in lots and lots of butter. I don't handle lots of butter well. So I chose to just cook the egg noodles quickly in boiling chicken broth, then I threw in bulgur wheat (at the health food store, or buy a box of Tabbouleh in the rice section at the grocery store), which is wonderfully quick-cooking, rather than cracked wheat. Then I took it off the heat, covered the pan, and let it sit for the bulgur to plump up in the hot broth. Added a little EVOO and a couple squirts of lemon, and served it with chicken thighs and a mix of broccoli and cauliflower, and rolls (see Aroostook County Biscuits blog). A great side for any meal-especially good choice if you are short on time for getting a meal on the table.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans