Christmas Season Egg Nog

 In the Joy of Cooking cookbook, the "eggnog in quantity" recipe quotes Mark Twain--"too much of anything is bad, but too much whisky is just enough." 

This egg nog recipe has both cognac and rum. A goodly portion of the first and some of the second. It calls for heavy cream, but I don't do well with lots of fat in my diet, so I went with the light cream. It also calls for whole milk, and 2% still gives plenty of flavor.

We toasted to Christmas, with one small addition to this recipe. Nutmeg sprinkled on top. It is a nice tradition at the holidays. And while Twain is one of my favorite writers, I'm afraid he has it wrong on the whiskey. Too much is too much. I'm glad the recipe donor adds the caution "more than one 'first timer' has asked for a third mug. That almost always proves to be one too many."

Of course, the recipe is just as tasty when you omit the alcohol. Cheers!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans