Braised Lamb Shoulder*

 There were no lamb shoulders to be found at the stores where I shop. So I chose a semi-boneless leg of lamb. And kept the preparation simple. Gave it a good rub with freshly ground salt and pepper, and lemon zest and garlic. Popped it in the oven at 425 for about 20 minutes, then reduced the heat to 350 for about one hour and twenty minutes. My goal was to pull it out at 130 degrees (rare), but of course, the less-dense portions of meat were already medium or medium well. Which simply means there was meat to my liking (medium to medium well) and meat to my husband's liking (medium rare), depending upon where you slice.

For a meat that I've never attempted before, I think this came out marvelously well. We enjoyed it for our Christmas dinner, and it was really delicious. I will, of course, keep looking for lamb shoulder. Perhaps more available around the Easter holiday?

This recipe completes the Flesh and Fowl chapter in the Maine Bicentennial Community Cookbook. This is a great chapter with a wide range of foods, both familiar and new-to-me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans