Blitz Kuchen

 I don't know much German, but I can't help but notice that this cake uses two German words to identify it, loosely translated "Quick Cake." 

It really doesn't take a whole lot of time to prepare this cake, so probably is an apt name. Just unusual, since the donor's grandmother, who created this recipe, does not come from Germany. She was born right here in Maine and lived most of her life in Maine. I'm really curious how she came to name the cake.

As I made the batter, I wondered how it would spread to reach the sides of the cake tin. There just wasn't all that much batter. I had to add a little water to get the ingredients to blend well, and so that I could then dip a fork in water and carefully spread the batter to the edge of the cake pan.

The egg whites beat into a beautiful froth. I added the recommended amount of sugar, but it turns out it is overly sweet that way, so next time around, I've made a note to cut back a bit on the sugar.

The meringue baked up beautifully, and when I turned the cake out, the cake itself was very thin. The meringue tastes heavenly. Whipped cream and strawberries are equally heavenly. I love "the look" of this cake. It is so pretty, with the strawberries and cream, and the lightly browned meringue. In fact, the Resident Archaeologist was of the opinion that if this cake tasted this good with two layers, why not double your layers? And get even more enjoyment out of the cake? Hmm. Not a bad idea. Not bad at all.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans