Aroostook County Biscuits

 I compared this recipe to another roll recipe (Tea Rolls and Bread, see blog), and there are two differences, well, three. This recipe uses shortening instead of butter. And, it has an additional ingredient of potato flakes. Also, there are only two risings, whereas Tea Rolls rise a total of three times.

The recipe donor writes about memories of visiting her grandparent's farm in Hope during her childhood (Hope is right around the corner from where I live). I shall have to wander over that way and see where their family farm is. She says it is still there "humming along, as it has been for nearly 230 years."

I had to cut down this recipe considerably, since it makes up way more rolls than our household of two could manage to consume. But no matter the quantity, these rolls serve up satisfaction with any meal. I do think the potato flakes contribute to making this a heavier roll, but that just adds to the satisfaction, in my mind. A great roll for all occasions. Slightly sweet, tastes terrific warm, with lots of butter (what roll isn't terrific with lots of butter?!). Notice that we have a baker's dozen here. Blessed with an extra roll!

This completes the Breakfast & Breads chapter. I love every chapter, but this one I have enjoyed more than all the rest. Bread is sacred to me (did I mention that I'm a pastor?) and it is a contemplative, joyful work to create bread. Every single time I bake bread, I am filled with awe, for bread-making is always an encounter with mini-miracles and marvelous revelations.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans