Oyster Stew

Oysters. Another food I've never cooked before, nor eaten. They've been offered, but I associated them with that unfortunate sandy clam dinner of my childhood, and have always politely refused. Amazing, the power of a grain of sand, to turn one away from future gastronomic experience with clams and oysters and mussels. What else do humans avoid, by allowing the memory of an unfortunate experience in their past to control their current choices? And how can we effect change? For me, specific to the sandy clam fiasco, I knew I had committed to experiencing everything this cookbook has to offer. That commitment has not only brought me joy through the stories of the people who love the recipes they submitted, but also joy in cooking and tasting new things, and overcoming something so innocuous as a grain of sand.

I was able to buy shucked oysters, frozen, at the local seafood shop, and thawed them carefully in the microwave (mustn't let the defrost feature accidentally cook the sensitive little darlings). I chose to make a roux for this stew. For the Lobster Stew, (see blog for that recipe), I followed the recipe exactly, and found it rather too thin for our tastes. So, the oyster stew, I figured, would be too thin also. Into the roux, I put chopped onions and cooked them, then added the liquid from the shucked oysters (amazing how much liquid there is) and slowly stirred in the milk/cream mixture. While that was heating (stir frequently, do not allow to boil, and it should thicken up a bit), I chopped up those eternally wet and slippery little oysters. Honest to Pete, it is as if the little darlings were sitting in that bowl weeping over their imminent demise while I tended to the roux. Truth be told, they do sort of "curl up and die." Literally. You have to remove the stew from the heat the minute the oysters begin to curl.

This still wasn't what I'd call thick stew, but it was thicker than no roux at all, and plenty flavorful. My husband made some sweet little cornbread muffins, which go nicely with the oyster stew. This recipe completes the Soups and Chowders chapter.



It takes only minutes to cook the oysters, and you don't want to overcook them...only a few minutes and they are done. Taste test? Superb. Nice light briny flavor, and texture-wise, I'd compare this to cream of mushroom soup. And, as luck would have it, no sand! I'm a changed woman, and shall never fear bivalves again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans