Lynn Reese's Pear Bread

 I don't know why, but I was imagining this bread would be extra heavy on the pear flavor. You know, kinda like banana bread is heavy on the banana flavor? And, I was having the devil of a time trying to get ripe pears. They were all hard as rock and didn't want to ripen worth a darn and I was tired of staring at the bowl of fruit in the kitchen, waiting til heaven knows when for those little pears to ripen.

So, the recipe allows for substitution of applesauce, and I like applesauce. And while I was equally worried there might be a heavy apple flavor, I went ahead with the recipe. I substituted cinnamon, where it calls for ginger, since that would compliment the applesauce better. And I added a little extra honey. 

The first rising was perfect, but it did take a full hour and a half, tucked in the oven on the lowest temp and covered with a dishtowel. The second rising in the pan also went well.  I always worry about yeast breads, that they might not rise well, but it's all about proper kneading and good yeast, isn't it?

It baked off just fine, altho I baked it for only 35 minutes (recipe calls for 40 to 50 minutes, but my oven runs hot). I couldn't wait for it to cool, and sliced myself a piece and buttered it the minute it was out of the oven. It was soooo good. The applesauce does not overwhelm. I'm sure this bread will be a popular loaf in our home from here on out. And who knows? Maybe the pears will ripen some day, and I can make actual Pear Bread.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans