Louise Guyol Owen's Lemon Meringue Pie

 I've never made Lemon Meringue Pie before, but I've eaten lemon meringue pie before. I mean, of course I have. I'm a pastor. I've been to more potlucks than there are stars in the sky. Pie is something of a matter of pride in the churches I have served over the years.  Now mind you, there is Pie Pride and then there is that Other Pride, and the first is just acknowledging the pie-making skills God gave you, so pie pride is a good thing! If you are not familiar with the dangers of the Other Pride, well, then, have I got a sermon for you. But I digress from my focus on pie.

I think this pie is a little too sweet for my taste buds. Nothing at all wrong with a wicked sweet pie, but my childhood was one of sweets that were somewhat sparse, due to a mom with type 1 diabetes. So I'm just accustomed to something a little less sweet, I guess. Next time around, I'd cut back on the sugar a bit.

I love seeing the recipe on its original typed index card. This is how my grandmother saved her recipes, that I inherited, so I'm just delighted to know that Caitlin Hunter, who submitted this recipe, inherited not only this cherished recipe, but also the typewriter her grandmother used to type it! Recipes handed down through the family are The Best Kind!

Just a detail: While the typed instructions produce a fine pie, you will notice that there is no time listed for baking (bake until meringue is golden brown) and handwritten after the last typed sentence is "425 degrees."  I baked the crust at 375, and then dropped the oven temp to 350, and baked the pie for about 20 minutes (my oven runs hot, so I think I pulled it out a little sooner).  It came out beautifully.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans