Claptrap

 This is a perfect fall or winter vegetable dish to serve at a meal. Basic root vegetables which, when combined, are mighty flavorful! Potatoes, carrots, and a rutabaga. I mean, even just saying "rutabaga" is fun, isn't it? And eating it, mashed up with potatoes and carrots and butter and cream is even more fun. Ah, not only what the doctor ordered...good for you, but also good tasting.

The rutabaga and turnip come from the same family, but I have to say that my taste buds choose the rutabaga over the turnip, every time. I like that these root vegetables are inexpensive, and easy to keep on hand. After I mashed the veggies up (using, I confess, way more butter than the recipe called for), a splash of light cream and a sprinkle of lemon pepper (my add, not the recipe), and it is ready to serve. You could probably dress this up with some onions and/or garlic, depending on your tastes, but I kinda like it simple. Enjoy!

This completes the Vegetable chapter of the cookbook. And may I just add, it is such a pleasure to read all of the family stories behind each recipe. I am moved by how the recipe contributors have made incredible family memories by serving these amazing foods, and I have also been blessed to create my own memories as I make these foods. I remember every recipe I've served from this cookbook, thus far, (all 165 of them!) and who was with me and tasted the food and how they liked it, and what they might add to the recipe, or if they liked it as is. What a treasure this cookbook is!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans