Tomato Soup Cake

 From what I can tell, researching a bit about this recipe online, spice cakes were popular during WWII, when there would have been shortages of some ingredients, and Campbell's Soup was the newest shortcut for home cooking.

This is an easy recipe, with very few instructions to follow...just put all ingredients in a bowl and mix. So it is certainly good for beginners. I baked this at night when the grocery was closed. The cake really needs a proper frosting to compliment the spice. A cream cheese frosting would be my choice, but you could also just spritz a bit of whipped cream on top. This picture of a serving of the cake is plain, which is fine, but again, frosting would add to the enjoyment of the cake. 

Just for fun, I'm adding a photo of my Campbell Soup doll, which belonged to my grandmother. Campbell's Tomato Soup and a grilled cheese sandwich is my go-to comfort lunch, dating to my childhood. Where would we be without Campbell's soup?!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans