New England Boiled Dinner

 Have you ever encountered a person who becomes your best friend, in an instant? And you think, how did I never run into this person before? Why is it that we are best friends now, when I wish it could have been forever?

Well, "that" is the way I feel about a New England Boiled Dinner. I have lived in New England all my life. Yet, no one has introduced me to Boiled Dinner. Til now. No worries. I'm grateful to have the new relationship now. But I'm just a little amazed that I've missed out for all these years. It might be as simple as the clam vs mussel issue (see Beer-Steamed Mussels with Corn and Basil blog). Maybe I tried corned beef in a can and that ended our relationship. (I did encounter red flannel hash in a can, and that was problematic, for sure). But I'm grateful to have experienced this meal, and with the expert guidance of the Resident Archaeologist, who knows how to cut the meat to get the best taste/chew experience. You have to cut across the grain, not with the grain (tender vs chewy/stringy). 

For my friends who sew, this is a little like grain line with fabric. You want to line up your selvage with the grain line arrow on the pattern. Otherwise, your project is going to be, well, wonky.

Melt-in-your-mouth corned beef, potatoes, carrots, parsnip, onions, cabbage and rutabaga. Easy as pie to prepare. Rutabaga, much to my surprise, is a little like a cross between a potato and a turnip. Not as strong as turnip, and therefore, much to my liking. Parsnip, which resembles carrots drained of the color orange, is a new experience for me, but it gave me nothing to complain about. It does rather remind me of a children's story I used to read to my kids, about a bunny named Bunnicula. But I digress. 

A little vinegar and mustard at table, and you've got a delicious fall meal that can't be beat. We kinda forgot to add the beets. But no worries. Tomorrow morning, look who is going to enjoy Red Flannel Hash! The beets, and my sweetheart, will be up early to get the hash ready. And don't forget the eggs. Red Flannel Hash can't be properly enjoyed without eggs, from what I've been told. Look for my Red Flannel Hash blog, coming soon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans