Mamie Berry's Cranberry Sauce

Now, cranberry sauce has a mind of its own, just like people. Some sauces are on the tart side, some are on the sweet side. And some people swear by the tart, and some by the sweet. Myself, I lean toward the sweet. So when the recipe claimed it was tart, I began to worry.

Clearly, I worry too much. The maple syrup gave it a natural sweetness that made this cranberry sauce quite possibly the best I've ever made....okay, confession, I've never made cranberry sauce in my life, and when I saw how easy it was, I thought, where has this recipe been all my life?! I've always gone the easy route, at holidays, and used the canned version, which always seemed to satisfy everyone at table. But this is almost as easy as opening a can, and you will be happy when everyone raves over it.

This recipe makes up about three cups of sauce. The recipe contributor, Peter Berry, of Bridgton, Maine, says that it has been a part of their family's Thanksgiving for over a 100 years. I can see why. It is delicious! You can also see a picture of the sauce served with Baked Beets and Roasted Chicken.

This recipe completes the Appetizers, Dips and Sauces chapter, the second chapter to be finished in the Bicentennial cookbook.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans