Innkeeper's Pie

 This pie has got to be one of the most unusual pies I've ever had the pleasure of baking. I have never put a "batter" into a pie shell. I was most curious to see what transpired in the heat of the oven. And yes, the batter turned into cake. So it is sort of like eating a cake in a pie shell. I actually bet small children will get a kick out of such a curiosity.

You have to pour a melted chocolate mixture over the top of the batter before baking. I wasn't sure what that would do, either, in the heat of the oven. It sort of crusted up a bit, so you get a very thin chocolate crust on top of the cake-ness. There, as my grandfather used to say, is the description clear as mud to you now?!

I think it tasted okay, but my brain was expecting more chocolate, you know, maybe a nice chocolate cream pie. And that is not at all what happened. It ended up being a vanilla cake with a pie crust bottom and a chocolate crust top. I think it really needed some whipped cream on top. And don't bake it for the recommended 50 to 60 minutes or it will dry right up. I had it in for about 40 minutes, which was plenty.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans