Cranberry Raisin Pie

 We've all heard the wisdom: Life is short. Eat dessert first.

The woman who submitted this recipe received it from her great-grandmother, Lizzie Abbott, or North Paris. At the holidays, the family enjoys this pie for breakfast the morning after the holiday. 

I'm not sure I need permission to eat pie for breakfast, but I did feel that in the interest of scientific discovery (LOL) I needed to replicate this recipe in all its wonderful facets, including when it is typically eaten. Therefore, I "had to" try this pie for breakfast. Oh, Great-Grandma Lizzie, you have a winner! This pie, no doubt, won blue ribbons everywhere, at the fair or simply in the home with the "blue ribbon" awarded that is praise from family. And, if we had children in our home, you can bet this pie for breakfast plan would be quite the winner.

I made mini-pies because, well, it's just myself and the Resident Archaeologist here, and if I made every recipe full-sized, I'm afraid at the end of this Bicentennial year, we'd have to buy a diet cookbook to shed the pounds this cookbook put on! Oh, you should know that my sweetheart is not a fan of cranberries unless they come in a can in jelled form. I know, I know. So, when he wanted to taste test this wee pie, I braced myself for the result. Amazing! Lizzie wins his heart! I guess it's the balance of raisins and cranberries. He likes it!

In addition to the pie picture, I'm including a halved-cranberries-in-sugar-bath picture. Aren't they stunning? To discover such sweet symmetry hiding inside a wee cranberry? I was entranced and just wanted to share :) 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans