Baked Beets

 Baked beets, like cranberry sauce, have a mind of their own. They can be on the tart side, or the sweet side, and people tend to have a clear preference for one or the other. Myself, I like Harvard Beets, with a nice thick sauce. 

This is the simplest of recipes, requiring only thinly sliced beets and onions, layered, with water to cover, then cover and bake in the oven. With salt and pepper and a little olive oil. I was surprised that the beets were not a deep red, like the jarred beets I purchase. The beets I purchased at the grocery were enormous. I might look for smaller ones another time. 

My kids were a bit fussy about their vegetables when they were young, but I could always count on getting them to eat their beets. Odd veggie for kids to like, but they seem to have grown up healthy enough, in spite of the dedicated beet diet.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans