24-Hour Yeasted Peanut Butter Waffles

 I try to follow a recipe first-time-around as closely as possible, unless, of course, my pantry is missing ingredients and I'm impatient to cook and the store is closed and I can't wait to jump into the recipe. So I do substitute upon occasion. 

This was not one of those substitute occasions, but I rather wish now that I had...

We have no food allergies in our household, but I do keep almond flour on hand for special recipes. This recipe called for almond flour, so I grabbed it off the shelf. In retrospect, I wonder if regular, gluten-laden flour would have worked better.

I certainly liked the prep 24 hours ahead of the meal. Easy peasy. Just put the ingredients together in a bowl, cover, and tuck in the fridge. 

I heated the waffle iron 24 hours later, and noticed the recipe contributor cautions that one should use a Belgian waffle iron not a small round waffle iron. Maybe that contributed to the "waffle fail" but not sure.

I burned the first waffle, even tho I opened the waffle iron exactly when the indicator light told me to. So I tried the second one, cooking it one full minute less than the previous waffle. It was cooked thru, not burnt, but boy-oh-boy was it a challenge to lift out of the iron. The waffle wanted to just disintegrate into tiny crumbs before my very eyes. Is this the nature of almond flour in a waffle iron? I don't work with this flour enough to really say. But I managed to pull enough of the waffle out onto a plate so that you can at least see that it vaguely resembles a waffle.

Tasting time. Heavy on the peanut butter. To be expected. I was surprised by the maple syrup/peanut butter combo. Not bad. It could grow on me, over time. I will try this recipe again, but I will use regular flour and probably cut back on the amount of peanut butter. I think you can still enjoy the pb flavor but eliminate the heaviness that a full cup of peanut butter provides. I mean, unless you plan to eat these waffles and then go hike Mt Katahdin, in which case, use all the peanut butter you like!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans