Russian Tea Cakes

I think it was the vanilla that fooled me. If I had seen almond extract in the recipe, I would have recognized this old friend. But it had been years since we had seen one another, and I didn't know her. Of course, this round little cookie rolled in powdered sugar could be none other! Except that years ago, she wore a delicious almond perfume that made her the alluring cookie I've had the pleasure of knowing all these years.

The only dish suitable for display of such an elegant cookie (even sans almond extract) had to be the Penelope Noritake tea set that my dad brought home from Japan. And you can be sure that we'll meet again, perhaps at the Christmas holidays, and she'll be wearing that almond perfume!

All kidding aside, this is a beautiful cookie that melts in your mouth, literally. I made a half batch and wish I had made more.

(This recipe is submitted by one of Patrick Dempsey's sisters, Mary. Their mother used to make these tea cakes every December. And yes, we are talking the Grey's-Anatomy-handsome-Patrick-Dempsey.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans