Grandma's Apricot Squares

 Another first for me, cooking with dried apricots. The recipe does not indicate how long to cook the apricots after "plumping" them with hot water.  And, the suggestion is a low heat, but I cooked them at a medium heat, having chopped them up first, and just watched them closely.

This recipe was a hit with the Resident Archaeologist. We both ate it warm from the oven, me, wishing for a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top-but the store was closed by the time it came out of the oven. He decided to pour light cream over his serving, which was a very good decision.

I cut the recipe in half, so it fit in an 8x8 pan. I only had one package of dried apricots, which happened to be about 4 ounces shy of what a 1/2 recipe called for. I was a little worried that there would be insufficient apricots! No need to worry, however. The apricots spread over the oatmeal-based dough and covered the surface well. You get delicious apricots in every bite of every square. This is a delicious dessert and worthy of serving at any gathering in order to listen to the happy sounds of the people enjoying it. My husband recommends a small pitcher of light cream at the table, if you serve it warm.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans