Wedding Ginger Juice from Burkina Faso

 I did some housework today and it was hot, and I was sweaty. What better way to take a break than with a glass of ice-cold Ginger Juice? I sat down with my juice and enjoyed a Martha Stewart TV show featuring various recipes with lemons. Coincidentally, this recipe uses lemons!

The delightful surprise of fresh ginger is that it gives you a little tingle as it passes your lips and then another tingle on your tongue and the back of your throat, as you swallow this thirst-quenching beverage.

I'm a believer, now, in fresh ginger. We have always used jars of ginger for eating sushi at home. But I had not ventured into any other areas for ginger, except, of course, using powdered ginger for baked goods.

This beverage is new to me, and I love it. The recipe instructions are a little vague (no actual measurements). I ended up making 2 quarts of this juice, and just following the directions to add sugar and lemon and mint leaves to taste, and that worked out fine. It does not direct one to remove the pulp, but I decided I'd rather do that, which is easily done with a fine mesh strainer. It is surprising how much liquid the pulp holds. 

In West Africa, this beverage is used at celebrations, such as weddings. But I think it is good for any occasion, and it looks beautiful in a glass pitcher with lemons and crushed mint leaves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans