Vegan Lemon Raspberry Poppyseed Layered Cake

 I learned something new with this cake! As I skimmed the ingredients, I saw yogurt. Then I read more carefully. Coconut yogurt. Non-dairy. As in, yogurt made from coconuts. And here I've been living under the impression that yogurt requires the help of a dairy cow. BTW, this recipe also calls for vegan butter. Well, I can assure you, no dairy cows were employed for the ingredients in this cake!

The poppyseed reminded me of the lemon poppyseed muffins I like at the church camp I volunteer at in the summer. But this is heavier than muffins, more like the density you find in a pound cake. I was a little concerned that the end result would be dry. No worries! The frosting slathered on the top adds to the moisture of the cake, but the interior is plenty moist. Don't bake it the full 40 minutes the recipe suggests, tho. I always undertime a cake on the first bake. Glad I did for this one. It only needed 30 minutes.

Not an overly sweet cake, the raspberry frosting lends a natural sweetness all its own. This cake is not just for vegans. I'm sure I could pass this off as a cake made with dairy butter and dairy yogurt, and no one would know the difference.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans