Raspberry Almond Bars

 I was quite sure I had almond extract in the cupboard, as I like to keep it on hand for making almond biscotti.  But when I went to the cupboard, I found every extract I could ever want (peppermint, maple, vanilla), and hiding way in the back was a sizeable jar (4 oz) of almond extract. But when I pulled it into the light of the kitchen, it revealed there was but a drop left inside. So, I had to substitute vanilla. Not as good, but you certainly wouldn't want peppermint or maple fighting with the raspberries! 

The only thing I might change in this recipe is to add more of the raspberry filling. You get plenty of butter/oats/flour base/topping in your mouth, but the raspberry was spread a little too thin (and I had added two generous spoonfuls more than called for, just to make sure it spread completely over the bar mixture).

Discovered a bonus at the grocery store...I don't like to toast my own almonds, because invariably some get toasted more, some less, you know, it just doesn't come out evenly toasted. In the salad topping section, they now have packages of unsalted, toasted sliced almonds. That's what I spread on top, and it looks and tastes great on these bars!

Directions indicated to place aluminum foil in bottom of pan, grease lightly, then after baking, lift out by the foil, let cool, and cut. Makes sense, for such a crumbly product, so that you don't break the bars trying to squeeze a spatula under them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans