Puff-In-The-Oven Pancake

It's been years since I've had cast iron frying pans in my kitchen. I can't remember if I gave them away or if they are just in a box that never got unpacked in the new parsonage. Anyway, had to improvise with something else. Enter the Blue Souffle Dish. I figure if such a dish is used to "puff" other recipes, perhaps it can "puff" this one as well!

This could not be an easier recipe. Just whisk those eggs and milk and a little flour and sugar, and pop the souffle dish in a very hot oven. It took longer to rise than the recipe called for, but maybe that's because the souffle dish has a higher side than a cast iron frying pan? 

It rose about an inch higher than the dish. But by the time I managed to get the picture, it had settled down to the rim of the dish. It still looked mighty tasty. In addition to sprinkling some powdered sugar on top, I poured maple syrup on it. No pancake is complete until it has maple syrup! It tasted a little like a popover, which makes sense, since the ingredients are the same. This looked so pretty in our blue souffle dish, and it took only minutes to prep and tuck in the oven.  I'm sure I'll use this recipe over and over again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans