Needhams

 This, I've been told, is the quintessential Maine candy. And I've never really been fond of them, because coconut is not my fav food. But I do like potato, and sugar surely makes everything taste great! So I was willing to give this a good go.

I made a 1/2 recipe and it makes up 15 chocolates.  It comes together easily. I did get frustrated at the end, because the recipe implies that while the potato mixture is chilling (I figured that meant refrigerate), you can melt the chocolate, and by the time the chocolate is melted, your potato mixture is ready for dipping. Well, it wasn't ready. I put it back in fridge for an extra 20 minutes. Still not firm! I looked recipes up online and found you need to freeze the potato mixture. Twice. After the first time, you roll the potato mixture into small balls, then shape into a slightly flattened square. Back in the freezer, because your hands have now warmed the pieces up too much for dipping. Twenty minutes later, ready for dipping in chocolate, using a fork. Really amazing. Actually looks like a chocolate you would buy at the store! 

Oh, and this must be an older recipe, because it calls for melting wax into the chocolate. Yup. I remember this from my childhood. I am guessing wax is what gives the chocolate its shine and helps it to harden properly. Let's just not light a match after I eat one, or I might just start melting! The chocolates taste fine, potato and coconut flavors blend well. I have displayed some in my grandmother's candy dish for the photo.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans