Maine Whoopie Pie

 Ah, the Maine Whoopie Pie. I learned to make whoopie pies in my 7th grade Home Economics class, at Garland St Junior High (renamed the William S. Cohen School in 2013), in Bangor, Maine. My classmates and I thought we had the coolest Home Ec teacher, letting us make such a treat!

Apparently, there exists a special "whoopie pie" pan one can purchase. Not exactly sure why, since I just take a small cookie dough scoop and portion the batter on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Works like a charm, and you get the sweetest little chocolate cakes you ever did see! The recipe calls for baking 19 minutes, which, fortunately, I knew would be way too long for my wee cakes. All it took was 10 minutes. Meanwhile, you whip up the frosting.

I've never been fond of the super-sweet frostings in whoopie pies. I was grateful to find that this recipe has a mild frosting sweetness: not-too-much/just-enough sugar. It calls for shortening, but I prefer (Cabot) butter. The recipe makes 14 melt-in-your-mouth mini whoopie pies. A shout-out to Lake Champlain Chocolate in Burlington, Vermont, where I buy my cocoa--superior chocolate flavor! Wondering why I make mini-whoopie pies? Because you don't feel calorie-guilt if you try just one! 

I feel fortunate to live in Maine, where Whoopie Pies are the Maine State Treat, dating back to at least 1925, when Labadie Bakery in Lewiston started making and selling whoopie pies. And I give thanks to my wise Home Ec teacher, who knew exactly what recipe to teach young people in order to entice them to find enjoyment in cooking!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans