Blueberry Balsamic Barbecue Sauce

 Knowing how sour vinegar can be, I took a close look at this recipe to be sure it had enough sweet to balance the sour. In my experience, maple syrup is just not sweet enough, in small amounts. I should have gone with my gut feeling, to increase the sweetness. But I guess I thought ingredients like the ginger and the smoked paprika might bring some balance. 

As I feared, the vinegar overpowered the blueberries and everything else in this sauce. Were I to make this again, I would cut the vinegar in half, and double the sweet as well as the spice. It is just unfortunate that the blueberries did not get full honors in this sauce. The chicken didn't complain, and I paired it with a very simple pasta salad that seemed to cut the sourness of the sauce somewhat.

I do love Maine blueberries, so I won't give up on this recipe. It just needs some adjustments to be able to celebrate the blueberries.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans