Ayuh Paella

 After experiencing Moxie Pie, what's next but "Ayuh Paella?!"  Another quintessential Maine recipe! The recipe contributor was the cook/owner on a Maine Windjammer, with her husband who captained the ship. The recipe includes a variety of meats and seafoods to tempt the palate of a Mainer, or anyone who loves a jumble of the flavors of sea and land creatures. 

The recipe essentially has meats cooked first (three), then you add in the seafood (four), and broth, and rice, and let simmer till the rice is done. Unfortunately, I discovered about the time I added the mussels that the pot I chose was going to be way too small to hold the rice as well. So I adjusted the recipe so that the rice could cook separately. I was so preoccupied with that switch that I forgot one of the essential ingredients...a wee bit of saffron. 

By the time I realized what was missing, it was too late. The rice was already underway, and the mussels had opened, signifying that the meats/seafood mixture was ready. So we will have to experience the saffron another day. The basmati rice was delicious, as usual, but I'm sure saffron rice would have complimented the meats/seafood nicely.

I'm not much of a mussels woman, so as a nod to the complete paella experience, I placed one on my plate, pictured here. I quite like separating the rice from the rest of the meal, so that you can easily plate the amount of rice you like, before distributing the meats/seafood mixture over it. 

I can see why a Windjammer would offer a meal like this, as the ultimate Maine coast "foodie" experience! It makes for a great meal for a crowd.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans