Tomato Stew

I looked at this recipe, and I thought, this is a stew? It just looked kind of bland to me. Plus, I remember thinking to myself, I can just open a can to get stewed tomatoes. What am I going to learn as a cook if I make this? 

But I was drawn to the story behind the recipe, as I am with many of the recipes in this cookbook. The contributor speaks of his grandmother and how she shared her love of cooking with him. There is a beautiful photograph of his grandmother next to the recipe. I thought, if this man learned this recipe from his grandmother when he was just a child, and it is still a "family favorite," then it must be worth cooking.

Plus, I was looking for something quick to make for my supper, and this looked quick. My husband had cooked up some pasta, so I figured perhaps I could combine the stew and the pasta and it might taste good together.

Oh, what a pleasant surprise to my taste buds! It always amazes me how taste buds remember when our brains don't have a clue. One taste of this stew and I realized why this man has loved this recipe since childhood.  A flavor which reminded me of my favorite childhood lunch-Campbell's tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.  I have no idea why I never put the ingredients together and came up with, "this is homemade Campbell's Tomato Soup!"  Of course, Campbell's doesn't put chunks of tomato in their soup. But still, it tastes just like it, with fresh tomatoes.

I did combine it with the pasta. I had to cut up the pasta so it would fit in a soup spoon. Topped with a little parmesan cheese, this made for a delicious meal!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans