Shiitake Mushroom Gravy

This gravy is paired with the recipe for Pumpkin Seed Croquettes, but don't limit it's delicious flavor to vegan recipes alone. This would be great on a steak or with pork or chicken. It calls for hemp milk or other nondairy milk, and I use almond milk, but you could use whole milk as well. When you put herbs, tamari sauce, shiitake mushrooms, nondairy milk, and sauteed onions together (and a little flour to thicken), you can't go wrong!

I've never encountered shiitake mushrooms prior to this cookbook. Call me a novice, but I'm sold on these mushrooms! They add a texture you can't get with the more widely available white mushroom, altho I'm sure those would do if you don't have shiitake mushrooms. I did find that this gravy thickens up as it cools, so just thin it with the almond milk or water.

I'm reviewing this gravy as a stand-alone recipe in the cookbook, but you won't find it listed separately in the table of contents. Be sure to look for Pumpkin Seed Croquettes to find the gravy. It can also be found by searching the index under Mushrooms. It will keep in the fridge for about a week, or can be frozen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans