Lobster a la Newburg

Again, it was the story that drew me in. The recipe contributor submitted a family photo with the elderly cousin who put this recipe in a 1903 North Edgecomb Cookbook "in aid of parsonage fund." Good church food, for a good cause! At the turn of the century, of course, lobster would have been very cheap, and so the recipe calls for far more lobster than my photo shows. Indeed, I cut the amount of lobster in half, and it still was far more lobster than I am accustomed to in a lobster newburg.

The recipe appears to focus mostly on the lobster, and virtually not at all on the sauce. Hence, it was more like slightly-sherry-flavored lobster on toast, rather than a pool of the flavorful sauce filled with bits of lobster to marvel at when the sweetness meets your mouth. I can't say that I was disappointed, because lobster in any form never disappoints! But I do like a nice sauce with my lobster newburg, and it just wasn't a part of this recipe. 

If you crave a lobster newburg with great sauce, try Sylvia's Secret Lobster Newburg. Now that's a proper newburg!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans