Chanterelle Omelet with Fresh Chevre

How do you make a Chanterelle Omelet without chanterelles? Well, let me just say that your local grocer doesn't typically carry wild mushrooms. So I went to a local health food store, and bought shiitake mushrooms, as well as an assorted box of guess-the-wild mushrooms, which my husband and I proceeded to look up to see what they were. And they were all delightful and we learned a lot about mushroom names, but none of them turned out to be Chanterelle (which, should you be looking for them, have their name because the cap looks like a trumpet). 

I substituted shiitake. Which are at least not as expensive as some other kinds of wild mushrooms. I allowed as how we could go overbudget a little on groceries this week as this was a new experience. I roasted the mushrooms in the oven, first lightly tossing them with some olive oil. 

Whipped the eggs, poured them into a buttered pan, and just as the eggs firmed, I sprinkled the mushrooms. I sprinkled the goat cheese (yes, chevre is French for goat cheese, it's really a great combo with the hard-earned pesto). Don't forget to add the Pesto, which is another story altogether. And then, the Flip. If you are really good, everything stays inside the Flip, and if it doesn't, just say that it's all the foodie rage to have miscellaneous mushrooms escaping from the omelet.

See my blog about making the Garlic Scape Pesto. A bit of an adventure.

All in all, a delicious omelet. The fellow that submitted this recipe writes that it should be paired with a piece of buttered toasted sourdough. Now that would have been perfect, and would have filled in the other half of my plate so it wouldn't look half naked. Aw well, there is always next time, as we have to hunt for chanterelles, n'est-ce pas?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans