Bread Pudding

As a Methodist minister, I move around somewhat frequently, per direction of our Bishop. So, one outpost my husband and I were sent to happened to be in one of the most beautiful places on God's green earth, Greenville Junction, Maine.  What a lovely place in which to minister! My husband and I loved living there and being in ministry there.

Greenville Junction, Maine is where I encountered my first experience with bread pudding. Honest-to-the-Apostle-Pete, I had never baked a bread pudding before this. A parishioner, Linda Carpenter (thankyou, Linda!) gave me her recipe for bread pudding, and I've been in love with this old-fashioned dessert ever since. It doesn't hurt that my husband is quite fond of bread pudding, so he was happy to oblige by eating it!

I like this particular recipe for the surprise fruit. I'd never tried a bread pudding recipe with anything but raisins until now. The apple compliments the raisins beautifully. This is a wonderfully egg-y recipe, and fits in an 8x8 pan, so I don't have to do any reducing of the recipe from a 9x13, which is what I typically find this recipe to require for baking. I pulled it out of the oven precisely at the 30 minute time frame, and it looked a wee bit dry on top, so I poured some light cream over it all, and slipped it back in the oven for a little bit, to soften the top. It absorbed nicely, but you do need to watch it, so it doesn't dry again. I love the way the sprinkled raisins look on top, and the sweet bite of the apple layered inside the bread triangles. I also think the triangles are kinda fun! It makes for a pretty presentation of the dessert to table before dishing out.

The recipe suggests serving hot with French vanilla ice cream. Yum, yes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans