Bernice's Refrigerator Rolls

These turned out to be more biscuit-like than roll-like. I do like the convenience of prepping the dough, then tossing it in the fridge till a more convenient bake-time.

I found the directions for bake-off to be a little different than what I'm accustomed to. It says to remove dough from fridge, roll out dough, and cut in triangles. Truth be told, I wasn't especially interested in doing special geometric shapes for my rolls, leave that for fancier chefs than I. So I just did quick square cuts, still trying to adjust to the fact that I had just rolled out a yeast dough like you would roll out sugar cookie dough. It was not at all a "spongy" dough, like I'm used to for yeast bread. And I had carefully put at least a 1/2 cup less flour than what the recipe called for, just to be sure I didn't get a dry dough. I'm guessing "Aunt Bernice" could tell me where I went wrong, were she alive today (according to the contributor, Bernice had this recipe published in a women's magazine in the 1940's!) but do read on, for this recipe was not a complete fail.

Well, I baked them, not having much faith in the outcome (I hoped the flat squares would miraculously transform into lovely, risen rolls, but suspected God had more important transformations going on elsewhere). They came out of the oven pretty much how they went in, as if I were baking biscuits. So my sweetheart wanders into the kitchen and says "Watchya bakin?" He tries two, hot out of the oven smothered in butter, and declares them "excellent." So I guess I need to have a little faith, and allow as how sometimes, foods are not what you expect them to be, but they are just what you need! The resident archaeologist happily packed some in a box this morning as he was preparing to go off on a dig.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans