Shrimp Wiggle from the 1940s

I baked up the cinnamon rolls in the morning yesterday, and come suppertime, was looking for a quick, easy meal. Shrimp Wiggle, it is! 

You would be hard pressed to find an easier meal (except, perhaps, what I cooked for my lunch today, but don't skip ahead yet!). The person who submitted this recipe mentions that it came from her grandmother's recipe box. Her grandmother drove a Nash Rambler. And that is just part of the fascinating story behind this recipe. 

I'm afraid that the tomato soup overwhelms the delicate taste of the shrimp. I'm guessing this recipe probably came about because Campbell's soups were becoming a household staple. I might have chosen a base for the shrimp that would compliment the flavor of the shrimp, not drown it.

I poured the concoction over wheat bread. I tried to jazz it up visually by sprinkling fresh chives from the garden on top. Don't get me wrong. Give me tomato soup any day of the week and it is right up there at the top of the list for comfort foods. But the poor wee shrimp just don't stand a "snowball's chance in hell" as my dad used to say, against the strong flavor of the tomato. Sturdy food, and fills the belly just fine. So I'm not complaining. I'm guessing anyone fed this meal in the '40s would have left the table well-satisfied.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans