Perfect Popovers

The title of these popovers implies that they are no-fail. Hah! Leave it to me to discover a way to make Imperfect Popovers.  There's got to be a sermon in that, somewhere...

The cook who submitted this recipe indicates that the batter can be poured into custard cups. Well, I have a couple of custard cups, but they are so small, I couldn't imagine a big popover out of such a small cup. So I used my King Arthur Flour popover pan, which is probably as perfect as you can get this side of heaven. Maybe that was my first mistake, I don't know. The cook recommends using room temperature ingredients, and maybe I was too hasty and the ingredients were not warm enough? Aaagh! The agony of not knowing where perfection drops into the realm of everyday imperfection.

So, as you may have guessed by now, the popovers did not pop very much, and were, consequently, more bread-y/muffin-y rather than "pop-y." I shall just have to try again. I take comfort from the story told by the cook, that her own mother had trouble for years, making popovers. Until the cook married a man whose mother made these "perfect" popovers. 

I did not even have the energy to take a picture of the poor-little-popovers-masquerading-as-muffins. All I've got is the batter...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans