Ada Foss Cobb's Grapenuts Pudding

Wish I could have known "the Foss Girls of Harmony." Ada, in particular. Just love the story about how she teaches her sister to make believe, during the Depression, when she is hungry and wishing for a hot dog. (Sorry, you'll have to buy this marvelous cookbook to hear the rest of the story!)

I'm entering this pudding in the "Dash of Maine Cooking Challenge." If you are interested in trying out some of the recipes in this cookbook, for the next six weeks, see www.maine200cookbook.com for more information.

I've been making custards for only about two decades. My mom had Type 1 diabetes, and it was an easy sugar-free pie to bake for her. Her craving for sweets increased, as she got older, and I was happy to oblige with custard pies.  She was hospitalized frequently, being a brittle diabetic, and during several prolonged hospitalizations, when she was very ill, my custard pie was one of the few things that tempted her to eat, for which I remember being especially grateful.

These puddings came out just beautifully. I was a little worried about the grapenuts, never having worked with grapenuts in a custard before. Turns out, the grapenuts just settle to the bottom and give you a bit of a "crust" effect, which is interesting.

I thought about baking the puddings in my Jade-ite dessert dishes, which Ada Foss Cobb herself might have used. But those dishes are just old enough that I'd worry the hot oven might crack them. So, happy solution: I baked them in my miniature pie tins, in a water bath, and then carefully slipped them into the Jade-ite dishes! Oh so pretty on a pink, white and green tablecloth from the 50s that my mom gave me! And the flavor? Well, I like my custard cold, so ask me tomorrow. I ate one while it was still warm, and it was good. But cold custard is always better, yes?!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunchtime Gloop

Maine Party Chicken

Dad's Bean Hole Beans